Facing any kind of criminal charge is a serious matter and one that can cost you your freedom. We all know the importance of hiring a good and experienced lawyer in those situations, but many people don’t realize the importance a bail bonds service also plays in this process. An arrest, even for a misdemeanor, can leave you sitting in a jail cell, when you should be out consulting attorneys, gathering evidence, and doing other things to prepare for your case. A bail bonds service can help you arrange your release at this crucial time.
When you are in need of a service that provides bail bonds Scranton PA, it’s important to look for one that provides a broad range of services. This will help ensure they will back your specific type of bail bond. Here are the common types of bail bonds, which should be offered by the service you will use:
- Misdemeanor Bonds – Bail set for a misdemeanor crime.
- Felony Bonds – Bail is higher for felony crimes than misdemeanor charges.
- PFA Bonds – A PFA is a Protection from Abuse order and, when the defendant violates it, he may be arrested and held, unless bail is paid.
- Immigration Bonds – Bail set high enough to ensure the defendant will appear at his or her immigration status hearing.
- Extradition Bonds – Bail set to cover the costs of detainment and transportation to another state for extradition. A bail bonds service can help you pay this bond, enabling you to travel to the extraditing court via your own resources.
A bond is partial payment on a bail payment, which serves as a pledge that the defendant will pay the full bail amount owed. Once released, the defendant is still required to submit the entire amount, which may be borrowed from a family member or friend. Enlisting a bail bonds service helps ensure you’ll be released, before your trial date.
Bail is set at the arraignment hearing as a means of ensuring the defendant shows up for trial. The bail amount varies, based on a number of factors that include the severity of the crime, the likelihood that the defendant will try to flee, and the defendant’s past criminal history. These factors can drive up the bail amount by thousands of dollars, so working with a bail bonds service can help ensure your release.