Legal Insight. Business Instinct.

General Article

Is It Challenging To Become A Foreign Lawyer In The USA?

Everyone who have seen the Boston Legal and other lawyer dramas and TV series wanted to become a lawyer similar as main characters. However, only a few of them can become a significant part of lawyer society.

If you want to become a lawyer in the United States, you should have in mind that it is complicated process especially if you’re a foreigner. The worst thing that you’ll meet along the way is bar exam, which will determine whether you have qualifications to practice law to a specific jurisdiction.

It doesn’t matter if you want to become one of the criminal lawyers in Houston, or you want to choose another form of lawyering because you will need to complete bar exam before you make another step.

Why Take a Bar Exam In The USA?

Even though universities are one of the most expensive ones in the world, they feature a fantastic reputation in the whole world. Therefore, most foreigners dream to go to Harvard, Yale or other universities where they can practice law with the most prominent minds in the attorney world.

If you want to study law in the USA, you have numerous reasons to choose a bar exam test. You can find innumerable foreigners trying to become Masters Of Law with the idea to take US bar exam. However, for international students, it is difficult to enter the universities and to finish them on time.

Apart from looking amazing on CV and your resume, when you choose the bar exam, you will demonstrate everyone that you understand US law, which is challenging and impressive accomplishments when we have in mind how many people try and fail.

See also  Accidents May be Painful Both Physically and Financially

It is a way better solution than having just an MA because it will allow you to become a fully admitted lawyer, which will increase your prospects so that you can work as a foreign legal consultant or a law clerk.

Where To Take The Bar Exam?

The answer to this particular question depends on personal preferences and numerous factors. When you start making a decision, have in mind that when you pass the bar, you will be able to work only in the state in which you took the exam.

Therefore, if you plan to move on, or practice law in the USA, it is essential to determine which state is the best for your personal and business preferences. If you don’t want to continue practicing law in the USA after you graduate, then you should base your particular decision on the regulations and requirements.

For example, it is essential to notice that New York is one of the most popular places when it comes to international students, while California is one of the most challenging states for international students to get a certified qualification.

What To Expect?

The bar exam consists of several parts, and you will need a few days to finish it. It depends on the state in which you wish to qualify for a lawyer because most states will create one test for the Multistate Bar Examination.

It is a multiple choice exam that covers topics that are not explicitly limited to one state. It features Torts, Contracts, Constitutional Law, Property and Evidence among other things.

See also  How A Property Crime Lawyer Can Help With Charges

In the second examination day, you will have to cover the law of the specific state you live in and taking the exam. It could be an essay exam, multiple choice exam or a combination of both. As the additional thing, the review could include the Multistate Performance Test, which will evaluate your general lawyering skills.

At the same time, you have to pass the Multistate Professional Responsibility Exam, that will test your professional ethics and overall knowledge. You will get it as separate occasion from the bar exam you wish to finish.

Is It Difficult For Foreigners To Take Bar Exam?

Yes, it is extremely difficult for foreigners to pass the bar exam. Even if you obtained MA of Law, that wouldn’t guarantee you that you will be eligible to take bar exams. Most states, require US law school degree so that you can become a lawyer.

On the other hand, if you have foreign education, you have to give it to the American Bar Association for analysis and review, which can take a year until you get an answer. If they accept you, you will be able to sit in the state as soon as the exam goes on.

Check here for latest news at American Bar Association website.